The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) recently posted its summary of changes to the 2012 Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG). The ERG is revised every four years in order to accommodate new product introductions, technology updates and regulatory changes. The following is the list of modifications to the 2012 ERG as provided by PHMSA:
- The Guidebook cover has been updated.
- General Information (WHITE) pages – several sections have been moved to the back of the book.
- Various sections have been expanded and/or revised, including:
- Shipping Documents (Papers)
- How to Use this Guidebook During an Incident
- User’s Guide
- Isolation and Evacuation Distances
- Who to Call for Assistance
- Table of Placards and Initial Response Guide to Use On-Scene
- Rail Car Identification Chart
- Road Trailer Identification Chart
- Fire and Spill Control
- Pipeline Safety Information
- Criminal/Terrorist Use of Chemical/Biological/Radiological Agents
- Publication Data (and related information)
- Emergency Response Telephone Numbers
- Index List of Dangerous Goods in Order of ID Number (YELLOW-bordered pages) and the Index List of Dangerous Goods in Alphabetical Order (BLUE-bordered pages):
- Addition of all new dangerous goods listed in the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – 17th Revised Edition
- Safety Recommendation/Emergency Response Guides (“Guides,” or ORANGE-bordered pages):
- Tune-up of some guides
- Table of Initial Isolation and Protective Action Distances, and the Table of Water-Reactive Materials Which Produce Toxic Gases (GREEN-bordered pages):
- Added Table 3 for six gases which are toxic by inhalation
- Tune-up of Initial Isolation and Protective Action Distances
- Added a Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion (BLEVE) Chart to Fire and Spill Control Section
- Added an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Safe Standoff Distances Chart to Criminal/Terrorist Section
* * * * *
Labelmaster offers the 2012 ERG in a variety of formats, including:
- Standard Bound ERG
- Spiral Bound ERG
- Electronic (Online) ERG
For additional savings, we also offer a variety of combo packages that include both book and electronic copies of the ERG. ERGs can be personalized with logos and company information for no additional charge – visit our custom ERG page to learn more.
Have questions about the 2012 ERG? Please give us a call at 800-621-5808 or view our ERG overview video, which explains the book’s history, composition and features.