Shipping lithium batteries is challenging, with new air shipping regulations making air transport for many batteries all but impossible. But at least you know those batteries power the devices that make our world more amazing by the day, right?
Well, not always.
For every life-altering phone, tablet or fitness tracker, there’s a device so pointless or questionably conceived that you have to wonder why it even exists. And yet, it does—and you may have sweated the details to ship the lithium batteries that power it.
Here’s our list of the dumbest battery-powered devices out there. Add your own dumb devices in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
Dumb battery devices you can wear
- An LCD belt buckle. Yes, you can now program your belt buckle to flash cheerful messages. We can’t think of anything we’d want to say on our belt buckle. Not that we can print here, anyway.
- Air-conditioned shoes. These dress shoes with tiny fans built into the soles actually cost less than the smart socks. Wear them together, and your phone can tell you how cool your feet feel.
- Smart, connected socks. Yes, just $99 gets you socks that monitor your foot-landing technique and transmit the data to your phone. Do they know ballroom dance steps, too?
Dumb battery devices for your kitchen
- The $55 smart water bottle that keeps track of how much you drink and sends reminders to your phone. Ah, but how does it know you’re drinking water?
- The smart fork that keeps track of how fast you’re eating. It’s only $79, but the “chew with your mouth closed” warning feature costs extra.
- The fridge cam. Yes, it’s a mini-camera that photographs the inside of your refrigerator so you can see what food you need to buy. Keeps tabs on that rogue asparagus, too
Dumb battery devices for your pets
- The power pooper scooper. Self-explanatory. This really should have been #2, right?
- The smart water fountain for cats. Unfortunately, this crowdfunded device attracted insufficient crowds and funds. Even cats aren’t stupid enough to forget to drink.
Dumb battery devices for your kids
- The electric bug zapper/swatter. Why just pulverize bugs when you can fry them in mid-air and practice your backhand at the same time?
- The Laugh & Learn Love to Play Puppy. This is a probably a perfectly lovely learning toy for toddlers, but its constant singalong music is guaranteed to make parents wish lithium batteries had never been invented.
Unfortunately, lithium batteries offer such cheap, reliable power that inventors can make almost any idiotic notion a reality. But these batteries (and the devices they make possible) don’t have to be a shipping nightmare! Labelmaster offers safe, compliant lithium battery packaging—along with answers to all your questions—that make battery shipping as painless as possible.
Air conditioned shoes? Seriously?
Make sure your shipments are safe and in full compliance with a full line of solutions from Labelmaster—a full-service provider of goods and services for hazardous materials and Dangerous Goods professionals, shippers, transport operators and EH&S providers.